- New research write-ups and discussions: Knowledge is Freedom; Stable Pointers to Value II: Environmental Goals; Toward a New Technical Explanation of Technical Explanation; Robustness to Scale
- New at AI Impacts: Likelihood of Discontinuous Progress Around the Development of AGI
- The transcript is up for Sam Harris and Eliezer Yudkowsky’s podcast conversation.
- Andrew Critch, previously on leave from MIRI to help launch the Center for Human-Compatible AI and the Berkeley Existential Risk Initiative, has accepted a position as CHAI’s first research scientist. Critch will continue to work with and advise the MIRI team from his new academic home at UC Berkeley. Our congratulations to Critch!
- CFAR and MIRI are running a free AI Summer Fellows Program June 27 – July 14; applications are open until April 20.
News and links
- OpenAI co-founder Elon Musk is leaving OpenAI’s Board.
- OpenAI has a new paper out on interpretable ML through teaching.
- From Paul Christiano: Surveil Things, Not People; Arguments About Fast Takeoff.
- Paul is offering a total of $120,000 to any independent researchers who can come up with promising alignment research projects to pursue.
- The Centre for the Study of Existential Risk’s Civilization V mod inspires a good discussion of the AI alignment problem.
The post March 2018 Newsletter appeared first on Machine Intelligence Research Institute.