Weezer’s Cover Of ‘Africa’ Might Their Biggest Song Of All Time | Tutorial
Despite some critical backlash, it’s official, Weezer’s cover of the song “Africa” is a hit. The song is topping charts and setting multiple records for the band. Music fans are going Weezer Africa crazy and might make Africa the band’s most popular song of all time.
Africa Is Breaking Records for Weezer
Weezer has had a string of huge hits since they formed in 1992. Some of their most popular songs include “Pork and Beans”, “Beverly Hills”, “Buddy Holly”, “Undone – The Sweater Song”, “Say It Ain’t So”, “Hash Pipe” and “Island in the Sun”.
But their cover of “Africa is set to outpace them all.
- Hot 100: Africa is currently peaked #57 on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart.
- Rock Airplay: Weezer topped the chart at #1 on August 18, 2018, on Billboard’s Rock Airplay chart for the first time with its cover of Toto’s “Africa.” The band previously peaked at a #3 with “(If You’re Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To” in January 2010. Africa is also the first cover song to ever reach #1 in the Rock Airplay ranking.
- Alternative Songs: Africa is Weezer’s first #1 song on the Alternative Songs list since 2008. It reached #1 on August 11, 2018. It’s also the first cover song to top the list since 311’s remake of The Cure’s “Love Song” in 2004.
- Digital Song Sales: Africa is Weezer’s 2nd most purchased digital song to chart. On June 16, 2018, it reached #5 on the Digital Song Sales list. It’s only bested by “Beverly Hills” which peaked at #1 in April 2005.
- Adult Top 40: At #6, “Africa” becomes Weezer’s most popular song on the Adult Top 40 list. Previously, the band also reached #8 with “Beverly Hills” in November 2005.
- Hot Rock Songs: Africa peaked at #7 on August 11, 2018, on the Hot Rock Songs chart.
- Radio Songs: Weezer has had two songs rank on the all-format Radio Songs chart before; “Beverly Hills” reached #17 in October 2005 and “Buddy Holly” #18 in 1995. Currently peaked at #33 on August 25, 2018, “Africa” is now the band’s 3rd song to break the top 40.
Even though Weezer’s fans love Africa and it keeps setting records, not everyone loves the song. The website Real Clear Life declared Africa the worst pop recording of all time.
Why Weezer Covered Africa
Weezer didn’t exactly choose to cover the song, Africa. Their fans made that decision for them. It all started with a tweet from a 14-year-old fan named Mary in Ohio. She created a Twitter account solely devoted to getting the band to cover the 1983 chart-topping classic Africa by Toto.
@Weezer cover africa by toto please
The hashtag #WeezerCoverAfrica started to gain traction on Twitter. Eventually, Rivers from Weezer saw the tweet and even liked it. Then David Paich, the keyboardist from the band Toto, tweeted his support for the idea.
Weezer then surprised the Internet and posted this YouTube video with the audio of their cover of Africa and a screenshot of the tweet from @weezerafrica.
The post Weezer’s Cover Of ‘Africa’ Might Their Biggest Song Of All Time appeared first on methodshop.