8 Apps that Help You Be More Productive with Browser Tabs | Tips & Tricks
If you’re the kind of user who only keeps a few tabs open at a time in your browser, you probably don’t need a tab manager app. However, if you’re anything like me and keep a number of tabs open at any given time, a tab manager app will save you a lot of time.
In this week’s roundup we have eight apps from our Software Discovery section that help you manage and be more productive with the open tabs in your web browser. These apps work with most major browsers and will let you enjoy your browsing sessions without creating a tab mess.
1. Private Tab
Private Tab adds an option to the Firefox browser that allows you to open a private tab in your browsing session. Any websites you visit in the private tabs are not recorded in your browsing history.
- Open private tabs
- Easy to use
2. Go to Tab
Are you a digital packrat? Specifically, are you the type of person that has 50 browser tabs open all the time? Then this extension is for you.
With “Go to Tab” you can list and manage all the open tabs in the current window. No more switching between the same website pages to find the content you want to find. Type the URL or content, and filter them out easily.
- List all the tabs in a current window.
- Filter tabs using URLs and contents.
Freezetab helps you save your tabs and keep them organized in Chrome on your computer. The extension comes with a number of features so that you can manage your tabs the way you want.
- Tab groups
- Filter tabs by websites
- Tab calendar
- Share tabs
- Search tabs
- Save tabs
- Sort tabs
4. Auto Tab Discard
Auto Tab Discard automatically discards inactive tabs after a defined time period to free up memory usage of the tab and to prevent background scripts from using the computational power of your browser when the tab is not being used by the user. This extension uses the native method to discard tabs and hence does not have issues other similar extensions might suffer from. Also in this method, the discarded tabs will not use any memory at all and will restore to the previous state while preserving page state (like scroll position for instance).
- Discards inactive tabs after a specified time period
- Discards all tabs or tabs in the current window per user action
- Supports white-listing for hostnames that should not go to the discarded state
- Supports conditional options to prevent tab discarding
Jety helps you organize your tabs, manage tasks and take quick notes in Chrome. It offers a number of features to help you make your new tab more productive.
- Organize tabs
- Manage tasks
- Take notes
- Manage bookmarks
- Sync data
- Weather forecast
- Search everywhere
The xTab extension allows you to limit your tabs to a maximum number of tabs in Google Chrome. You can set a tab limit to any number and choose which tab should be removed.
- Set limit for maximum open tabs
- Automatically close tab when limit is hit
SuperTabs allows you to list and search current open tabs and switch to them quickly. You can search for tabs based on their titles. The number of open tabs is shown as a badge counter.
- See the number of open tabs across all windows as the badge counter
- List all open tabs
- Search through titles and URLs of the tabs and quickly switch them by clicking on them
- Keyboard shortcuts
8. Vertical Tabs Reloaded
Vertical Tabs Reloaded arranges tabs in a vertical rather than horizontal fashion in Firefox.
- Arranges tabs vertically
- Ships four different styles for the tab sidebar
- Hide/display the tab sidebar manually with a hotkey (Ctrl+Shift+V) or by clicking on the VTR icon
- Display the tab toolbar at top or bottom (default) or hide it completely
- Show the tab status (unloaded, unready, busy) visually on the tabs
As you can see, there are tons of things you can do to save time and be more efficient with your browser tabs. If you like these apps, you will certainly like our Software Discovery section that contains plenty of apps like these for you. Don’t forget to let us know what you think about our software section in the comments below.