How To Play MKV Files On Windows Media Player
If you have downloaded an MKV file, opening it using an earlier version of Windows Media Player 10 might not work. This is because the previous versions of Windows Media Player did not support MKV files.
Even if you have a new version of Windows Media Player, there’s no guarantee that you still won’t be encountering problems. Your file may load but you will only hear its audio. Its video component won’t be visible.
In this post, let’s look at how you can use Windows Media Player to play MKV files.
Convert The File To a Format Supported By Your Version Of Windows Media Player
If a program can’t play your file, the fix is to make that file playable. So in this case, going with an acceptable format for Windows Media Player is the straightforward solution.
The file you’re looking for comes with the extension .wmv. It stands for Windows Media Video and it’s a video file that uses Microsoft’s ASF (Advanced Systems Format) as the basis.
So what you need to do is find a reliable converter that will convert your MKV file to WMV. Wondershare UniConverter is a tool you can use for this.
- To begin, open the program and choose Add Files.
- Go to Convert all files to: and select WMV as the output format.
- This tool is just one of many tools that can convert your MKV files to WMV files. You can also choose AVS Media Converter, Handbrake, and more.
Use Alternative Media Players
Windows Media Player is a great built-in program for playing media. But because it can’t play your MKV file, a quick fix is to go for other media players.
The two top ones are as follows:
VLC Media Player
VLC is a free open-source multimedia player that can play almost every multimedia file format.
It also comes with a lineup of tools that can improve your viewing experience. This includes a menu for Media, Playback, and Video.
- The first step to using VLC media player is to download and install the program.
- Then select your MKV file. Right-click on it and choose Open with.
- From the selection, choose VLC media player.
- You can also launch the media player. Then go to Media and select Open File from the drop-down menu.
Power Media Player
This can also play MKV files and is easily available on the Microsoft Store.
A big advantage of Power Media Player is that it can play DVDs. It also comes with advanced controls such as a Bookmark Viewer and TrueTheater Enhancements.
- Like VLC media player, you can begin using Power media player once you download and install it. Choose your MKV file. As you select your file, right-click on it, and choose Open with.
- There, select Power Media Player.