How to Stop People from Adding you to Group on Whats app
WhatsApp groups are among the keys to keep in touch with family, friends, relatives, and people who have the same passion and interests. However, not all groups are worth joining. Not even everyone is comfortable to join any group. Unfortunately, anyone can add you to WhatsApp groups even without your consent, and this can be annoying. But the good news here is that, now, you can stop that person from adding you to any group that you find is not helpful for you.
WhatsApp just recently introduced the “new group privacy settings” available on both iPhone and Android devices. Before you learn how to use this new feature, make sure to install the latest version of WhatsApp on your mobile device. If you’re using an Android, install the 2.19.308 version. For iPhone users, version 2.19.112 should be installed. Updating can be done by going to your respective WhatsApp pages both on the App Store for iPhone and Google Playstore for an Android device.
When you’re done updating the latest version of WhatsApp on your mobile device, it’s time to stop your contacts from adding you to groups within the app. If you are an Android phone user, here are the three easy steps:
- Open the app on our smartphone, then, tap the three (vertical) dots icon on the upper right of your phone screen.
- Press the ‘Settings’ option, then tap ‘Account,’ and ‘Privacy’ options.
- Tap the ‘Groups’ option. Once tapped, three options will appear: ”Everyone,’ ‘My Contacts,’ and ‘Except**’ Your choice will be the one you are allowing to add you to WhatsApp groups.
If you choose ‘Everyone,’ it means, anyone from WhatsApp, even if not in your contact list, can add you to any group. ‘My Contacts’ allows only your WhatsApp contacts to add you to groups. Lastly, ‘My Contacts Except**’ means, only your selected contact can add you to WhatsApp groups. The people you select will be prompted to send you the invite to join the group via a private message. You are then given three days to either accept or deny the invite to join the group. After three days, the invitation gets invalid.
For iPhone users, here’s how to stop your contacts from just adding you to groups on WhatsApp:
- Open the app on your iPhone. Then, on the bottom bar, press the ‘Settings’ option.
- Tap the ‘Account’ option, then select ‘Privacy’ and ‘Groups.
- As to how the Android users are instructed, choose one from the three given choices: “Everyone,” “My Contacts,” and “My Contacts Except…”
This may be a discovery from WhatsApp, but it should not come to you as a surprise because the same service has been being tried for quite some time now for the prevention of spreading the wrong information. Based on an article BBC posted on its website, “political campaigners, prior to the elections in Brazil last year,” used a type of software that adds several individuals to their “politically driven groups” without their permission, let alone their knowledge.