How To Disable Windows 10 Login Screen
Having a login screen is a pretty common sight these days for computers, whether you’re using a Mac or Windows PC. However, a login screen can be annoying since it means an extra step you’ll have to take before you can use your computer.
Obviously, having a security system like a login screen is great and useful and highly-recommended if you’re using a computer in a public setting, using a shared computer at work or school, or if your computer is being used by multiple people in the same home. But what if you’re the only one that ever uses it?
Local vs. Microsoft Account
That being said, before we proceed, do note that you should first identify which login your computer is using. There are basically two types of logins to Windows – a local account and a Microsoft account.
A Local account is basically the admin account for your computer. In a way, you can think of it as being more secure as this password only works for the computer you’re using and nowhere else. Your settings are also kept private as they are stored locally on the computer, and it also doesn’t require you to have an internet account to log into your computer.
A Microsoft account is basically like a universal account. If you own other Microsoft products like Office 365, Hotmail, Outlook, and so on, this will be the same account you use to log into your computer with. The upside to this is that it syncs your account details across multiple services, but the downside is that in theory, if your Microsoft account was breached, the hacker could technically log into your computer as well.
Disable Windows 10 Local Account Login
- Press the Windows Key + R
- Type in netplwiz
- Select the user account you want to disable the login screen for
- Uncheck the box that says “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer”
- Enter the username and password that’s associated with the computer and click OK. If you never had a password set to begin with, click OK anyway.
- Go to Settings
- Select Accounts
- Click on Sign-in options
- Under “Require sign-in” select “Never”
Disable Windows 10 Microsoft Account Login
In order to prevent your computer from prompting you for your Microsoft account login, you will first need to convert your Microsoft account into a local account.
- Click on Start > Settings > Accounts
- Select Your email and accounts from the left pane
- Click “Sign in with a local account instead” to launch the setup wizard
- Enter your Microsoft account credentials first for verification purposes
- Click Next
- Choose a username and password and click Next
- Review the information and if you’re satisfied, click “Sign out and finish”
- Follow the instructions in the “Disable Windows 10 Local Account Login” section above to disable the Windows 10 login screen
Filed in. Read more about Microsoft, Security, Social Hit, Windows and Windows 10.